Monday, January 19, 2009

Facing My Fear

My sweet friends, family, and fellow bloggers, I could sure use your prayers and encouragement. In a few short days, I'm going to be facing my biggest fear. I will be taking my very first flight...EVER.... So, it should come as no shock to you that the plane crashing into the Hudson River last week was just rotten timing! Getting on a plane was something I vowed I would never do, and for 26 years, I've never wavered even slightly. Then, last year, we had Hopey, and all of a sudden 22 hour car trips became completely unimaginable! So when one of my closest friends of 20 years called me from her brand new home in Colorado to tell me that she was getting married in February of '09, I had a huge decision to make. We had driven to Colorado in January two years ago and had gotten stuck in one of the worst blizzards Kansas had ever seen. We tried to imagine having a screaming baby added to that equation and quickly rejected any idea of traveling like that again. I started to realize that if I wanted to see my friend, who's like a sister to me, get married, then I was going to have to fly. To make an amazingly long story shorter, my doctor suggested talking to a therapist, a prescription for Xanax, and a practice flight. My amazingly sweet husband wanted to make the practice flight as easy on me as possible. So for Christmas, he gave me tickets to Medieval Times in Schaumburg (Chicago), a reservation at the Conrad Hotel that night, and tickets (for my first flight) to get us there. I'm absolutely thrilled to be going to Medieval Times and the Conrad, but I'm just sick to my stomach about how we're getting there. I just keep looking at this picture from Brian's birthday two years ago and realize that I really do want to go back!All the while, I'm trying to AVOID all of these pictures that are taking over the internet!I really do know in my head that this is all in God's hands and His Will will be done, but the rest of my body is on an anxiety trip. I would greatly appreciate it if you would be praying that I will continue to trust God, be able to control my emotions on the plane, and not be arrested at the airport for erratic behavior. And I'm truly serious about that, I'm so afraid I might freak out so badly that an Air Marshall will take me into custody. Thank you all so much in advance, I truly appreciate it! ALSO, I need to add a large bunny trail to this post! I wanted to send a big CONGRATULATIONS to Meghan and Eric on their surprising but wonderful news that they're expecting again!! Big hugs and high fives!! We couldn't be happier for you guys!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't be more proud of you for even considering doing this! It will definitely be a life changing experience to overcome this fear. And remeber Faithy, if on Saturday you feel like you can't go through with it, Chicago's only a few hours away and we can try again some other time. WE CAN DO IT!

Katie @ Heart Gone Walking said...

Oh, you're right. That is terrible timing for the Miracle on the Hudson. I'll be praying for you and you'll have SO much fun in Chicago! I'd love to see you and Hopey soon!! We need to catch up!

Tasha said...

Praying for you!. Knowing God will wrap his arms of love around you and give you grace sufficient to overcome this fear!. Love to you.
Tasha

Meghan said...

OK... so you can swim, right? Even if you had been on that flight that plummeted - I mean floated - down into the Hudson River... you totally would have been fine!

All seriousness aside... I KNOW you can do this - especially with your awesome supportive and thoughtful husband by your side. The Chicago flight takes like 12 minutes - I've done it a few times - and those pilots make that flight about 900 times a day without any complications at all. And I was thinking... on your flight to Colorado... you'll have Hopey there to distract you from all the anxiety of it all. Trust me... babies on planes - SUPER great at providing distractions (for EVERY passenger on board)!!!

You can count on huge prayers for this endeavor! I know you're terrified - but if God can make a donkey talk... He can get your plane into the air and back down SAFELY! :)

Devon said...

i accidentally deleted your comment!

Unknown said...

Came to your blog by way of Meghan. Thoughts and prayers for you on your endeavor this weekend.

Us! said...

You are going to do just fine with your first flight!!! I have complete faith in you! I'm so excited for you at the same time. You are seriously going to wonder why you didn't do this earlier! I will send good thoughts and prayers your way!!! Can't wait to see you in Denver!!:)

Carrie said...

Hi, I am a friend of Meghan and I read her post and jummped on over to yours to send my support. You CAN to this, and the feeling you will have for stepping out in faith will allow you to overcome this fear. You will have the peace of God covering you and the joy only He can bring. Have an amazing trip!!! Carrie-Reno,NV.